Thursday, March 31, 2011

New Beginnings

I'm back. Yes, I have returned to the blogosphere triumphantly riding in on a white horse. Ok maybe not really on a white horse, and maybe not so triumphantly, but I am back and no, I did not forget about you. The past few months have just been a period of upheaval for me, all in good ways fortunately.

As of my last post in October I was engaged to the love of my life planning a wedding to take place this October in 2011. Now, I am happily married to that same woman living in a quiet little town southwest of Boston.

Speaking of employment, as of my last post in October I was working for a small newspaper in Greenwich, Connecticut. Now I am working for a major medical information technology company just five miles away from my new home.

It's funny the directions life takes you.

Understandably, at least to me anyway, all that change meant some things had to fall to the back burner and unfortunately this blog fell into that category. Every time I felt like coming back to writing here something would come up and draw my attention. Again, every one of those somethings have been good and I am easily the happiest I've ever been for the reasons stated above. Now things have settled down and my new bride and I have contentedly settled into our routine leaving me with the opportunity to return to something I enjoy, writing about sports.

It's fitting in a way, and no small coincidence, that I've decided to begin posting on Opening Day of the 2011 Major League Baseball season. You might almost say I planned it this way. But it is Opening Day, a day for new beginnings, and probably my favorite day of the sporting year followed closely by the start of the Masters (which conveniently is next week).

There's something uniquely special about today, even as winter refuses to roll over and die in the northeast. It's more of a feeling, a sense of the electricity in the air as 30 ball clubs will take to the field for the first time over the next two days all with dreams of October glory. Maybe it's cliche of me to say that one of the things that makes today so great is everyone is starting 0-0 and nothing can dampen any of their dreams but like a true baseball fans out there I can feel it.

Does every team really have a chance? No. To believe otherwise would require an incomprehensible level of naivete. But the truth is none of that really matters. What matters most is the fact that baseball season is back and regardless of whether you cheer for the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Phillies, the Giants, or even the Royals, today is a day to celebrate new beginnings.

So to conclude I encourage you all to forget about wins and losses, trophies and awards; and simply sit back, relax, and enjoy. It's going to be a helluva fun ride.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Back. We missed you. No better way to come back than on Opening Day.

    ReplyDelete